Bottled Water or Living Water?

One thing I have been convicted of lately is drinking bottled water. Yes you heard me correctly, I said bottled water. What, you may ask, is so bad about drinking bottled water? Well let me tell you.

We live in a society where bottled water is readily available. It comes in all shapes and sizes.
Imported, domestic and yes even local "tap" water can be found bottled and sold if you look hard enough. Some of the bottles are plain to the eye, others are fancy. Some make claims that if you drink their water your life will be forever changed. Others just promise you a refreshing drink. You can find bottled water that fits just about every taste and lifestyle. And above all it's convenient. Other people have already done all the hard work, all you have to do is open and enjoy.

The truth of the matter is that I have become quite addicted to it. Every time I walk into a store or am shopping online and I happen to see a new bottle that I haven't tried before I purchase it. I have amassed quite a collection over the years. Some I have really enjoyed, others not so much. Some I have recommended to friends or even purchased a bottle or two to pass on.

The problem? Well...it's bottled water. You see bottled water will never be as good as water that comes from the source. I mean it's good, but it is lacking.

Now least you think that I am some sort of freak who is obsessed with bottled water let me clarify a bit for you. I'm not talking about the wet stuff that you find in just about every supermarket or corner store across the United States. I'm talking about spiritual water.

In John 4 there is a story about Jesus hanging out at a public well. His disciples had traveled on ahead to get food. As He is waiting for the disciples to return a Samaritan woman arrives to draw water from the well. Jesus asks her to give Him a drink of water and they end of having a conversation:
_________________________

The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans)

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw water with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this well and drank from it himself, as did also hi sons and his flocks and herds?"

Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water."
_________________________

The absolute best water I have ever tasted can be found in Northern Arizona at the base of the Mogollon Rim. I used to backpack quite a bit up in that area and one of our regular stops was at a spot called Horton Springs. The water flows directly from a spring in the side of the mountain. It is ice cold and a bit sweet. It needs no filtering or purification because it has been naturally purified by the limestone and sandstone rocks that make up the rim. It is the perfect treat for a tired and thirsty backpacker. In fact I can almost taste it just thinking about it. Nothing else will compare to this natural spring. It doesn't matter how fancy the bottle, what country it comes from, what additives it has in it. Bottled water will always fall short.

Jesus made it clear that He was the one with the Living Water. He is the source of the water that will never leave you thirsty. The funny thing is that it is often far easier to turn to Bottled Water rather than Living Water even though we know it will fall short.

By Bottled Water I am talking about all of the books, all of the videos, all of the sermons, all of the magazine articles, all of the TV programs, all of the radio programs, all of the blogs that are produced by men and women who have encountered the Living Water. Now I'm not saying that these things are bad, far from it. Many of them are extremely valuable and have helped me tremendously in my ministry and my relationship with God. However they are still Bottled Water. They will always leave you thirsty.

I have been convicted that I am far more addicted to Bottled Water than I am to Living Water. I am far more inclined to pick up the newest book or listen to the latest sermon from one of my favorite pastors than I am to pick up my Bible or sit in silence waiting for God to speak.

I wonder how many of you are in the same boat?

I really want to learn to become addicted to Living Water

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home